CMSD Awarded 2011 Mayor’s Award for Historic Preservation
Each year the Brookings Historic Preservation Commission, in cooperation with the Mayor’s Office, celebrates the best of preservation by presenting Mayor’s Awards to individuals, organizations or businesses whose work on Brookings’ properties demonstrate achievements in historic preservation. These efforts include homeowners who save and maintain important Brookings’ landmarks, as well as business owners who sensitively blend new construction in historic districts. All demonstrate commitment, leadership and achievements worthy of recognition.
Eligible projects involve the rehabilitation of older homes, businesses or rental properties judged on consistency in style, materials appropriate to the date of construction, quality of workmanship and sensitivity to the environment. Nominations are solicited from the community throughout the year with official requests for nominations in April.
This year, Mayor Reed and the Brookings Historic Preservation Commission will present the following five awards:
- Children’s Museum of South Dakota, 521 4th Street “Adaptive Reuse”
- Greg & Allison Sherwood, 725 4th Street, “Exterior Residential Restoration”
- Ginny Conger & David Aaron, 621 8th Street, “Residential Construction – Garage”
- Kent Resman, Shad Swedlund, Jerrad Ziegeldorf, 829 7th Avenue, “Adaptive Reuse”
- Bill & Nancy Flynn, 711 4th Street, “Exterior Residential Restoration